First, it was Sable Island. The DXpedition was intitally delayed by faulty plane before being postponed from Winter 2010 to some time in spring 2011.
Now the Spratly Island (DX0DX) DXpedition is on hold. The team is awaiting clearance from Manila and are still currently in Palawan. Here is the update direct from the DX0DX blog:
7th January 2011
To the DX Community,
We are still in Palawan, VK3FY has been working very hard to secure final approvals over in Manila the entire week.
We now have our gear out of customs and are ready to load the container with provisions etc.
The toughest obstacle remaining is the final approval to make the trip, and we still do not know how long this may take beforea decision is rendered.
Logistics for some is a minor issue as many of us must check out of the current hotel and go to another tomorrow.
Chris VK3FY our team leader is arrving late morning and we will call a team meeting to adjust our schedule keying off any approval date which may be received.
Since the boat will take 2 days to reach the island, and we can fly there in 1 hour by plane, we cannot leave Palawan until we know our food and water is safely on Pagasa.
So as it stands
1. Get Approval 2. Load Boat (1 day) 3. Boat Transit (2 days) 4. Fly to Pagasa. 5. Setup Camps (2 days).
Basically, we are looking at 5-6 days from receipt of approval until activation.
Wish I had more definitive (and better news) news but that's where we are and Chris wanted us to keep "the deserving" in the loop as best as we can.
That is all at the moment, we will try our best to keep everybody updated on this situation.