Sunday, October 21, 2012

A good day's hunting for DX . . .

I didn't have a huge amount of time for HF activities today because I was taking part in a first aid course with the AREN North East group (Amateur Radio Emergency Network). However, the time I did allocate to HF was used wisely. I managed to get half an hour in the shack early this morning and nabbed TX5EG in French Polynesia on 20 metres CW with just 100 watts. Conditions seemed to be good to the Pacific at the time because shortly afterwards I worked ZL4PW on 12m CW, also with 100 watts. You can see what Paul's signal was like in the video below, which I made just after I had my QSO with him. The Icom is a new toy in the shack! The video was made with my Nikon D7000, and the audio was connected directly from the radio to the camera:
Shortly after that I worked another New Zealand QSO, this time it was ZL2MY on 17m CW. His name was Mike and he told me he has an Irish callsign, EI7CR. We later exchanged emails. He was very happy to hear EI, and it is a sure sign of improving conditions. New Zealand is one of the furthest places from Ireland and it's always a great pleasure to work the ZLs on HF.

Other highlights of the day include C50C The Gambia on 12m SSB, who had a booming signal, and a hefty pile-up from Europe and indeed further afield. It took me a while to work him but I eventually did. The second video below shows his signal strength just after I worked him. I worked the P29VCX dxpedition to Papua New Guinea on 20 metres side bands and then tonight on CW. I also nabbed 9J2GR in Zambia on 12m CW for a new country on that band, and then the absolute highlight of the day was working the T30PY Western Kiribati dxpedition on a second slot tonight, this time 17m CW.

2 comments:

  1. Nice catches...interesting to listen to this Icom...what are your filters (Fil1 and Fil2 in the videos)? The sounds in both those videos are so different from the sound of my TS-850S and I would like to know why :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sauli, I love the versatility of the filtering on the Icom. The three settings are different in CW and SSB. in CW, Filter 1 is 1.2k, Filter 2 500 hz and Filter 3 is 250 hz. But all of these are further adjustable with the Twin PBT. In fact, the CW filter can be narrowed down to just 50 hz ! On SSB, Filter 1 is 3.0Khz, Filter 2 is 2.5 Khz and Filter 3 is 2.0 Khz, and again all are adjustable with PBT.

      It is worth remembering that there are many factors involved in audio. C50C's audio is no doubt excellent and he is using good equipment. The band was in good shape - his signal was strong but the band was not noisy. And don't forget I had the Nikon D7000 connected directly to the headphone socket of the radio for that video.

      All in all though, I am very pleased with the performance on this radio.

      Delete

All comments are moderated - so spam will not get through.