Monday, September 19, 2011

EI2KC's new look shack in progress


This is the new-look shack almost finished. I was fed up with the haphazard arrangement of radios so I went to a DIY store on Sunday and picked up some wood to build a shelf to act as a second tier for my computer, monitor, speakers, VHF radios etc. As you can see if is very neat. Compare it with old photos of the shack and you'll see what an improvement it is. It looks so much tidier.

The DIY did not prevent me from working a bit of DX on Sunday. I had very little time in front of the radio, but I did manage to bag T8XX, Palau, a brand new country for me. So I was thrilled.

Here is a quick guide to what's on the desk: Bottom row, from left: 2m amplifier (25w in 160w out) and Uniden Bearcat scanner, Watson 25a PSU, Yaesu FT-1000MP, my main rig, and on right the Icom IC-746 which I use for 6 metres and 10 metres and will soon be attached to an 8-element XY beam for 2 metres. Beyond that on the right are two external hard drives for my laptop.

Top shelf, from left: 4m radio with 2m radio on top and speaker for 4m, then IC-735 for listening on 80m, rotator for MA5B on top and above that speaker for 2m. Beside those is my Signalink USB interface for digimodes for the MP, then my monitor and then my laptop.

Sorry about the quality of the photo. It was taken on my Android phone.

7 comments:

  1. Very nice setup Anthony and yes it is a much better feeling when all is neat and arranged at the desk. It can get frustrating when this cross's over that...and sometimes you spend more time trying to get things sorted out than operating. Well very good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Mike, it is much neater. But there is one drawback! It is tough trying to run a wire into the back of a radio!!! One has to pull everything out to get in at the back. I had an ordeal running coax to the scanner and the IC-735 yesterday evening. Took me ages. But the finished result is very neat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks nice Anthony. But a better picture of it would be nice. It's really blurry. 73, Bas

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right Bas, it's not up to my usual good standards! I will take another one tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, nice tidy station, good operator, crappy photographer,,,,hi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tony, it's Mike, M0SAZ. I just worked you on 40m and didn't put 2 and 2 together, I subscribe to your blog's RSS feed and have even commented on your blog before! There you go... Nice station my friend, looking very tidy. Take care and hopefully will QSO again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mike, thanks a lot. I enjoyed working you last night. I had great fun on 40m. Love chatting with my ham friends. I will take some better photos soon and put them up, might also do a video. It's a small world in ham radio! 73

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated - so spam will not get through.