Sunday, September 30, 2012

ZD9UW Tristan de Cunha logged as a new DXCC

ZD9 Tristan de Cunha in the south Atlantic is the 49th most wanted DXCC according to Clublog.org. So when plans were announced for two British amateurs to travel there to activate this rare one, EI2KC was getting excited. Unfortunately, one of the pair, G3ZAY, was unable to make it, but Robert, M0VFC, has made it and was on air a short time ago on 15m SSB as ZD9UW.

Robert M0VFC is operating from Tristan de Cunha as ZD9UW.
Pretty soon he had a big pile, but was listening up 5 to 10 kc, which is not a huge split really. I felt like I had a chance. I switched on the linear and turned the hexbeam south and pretty soon I was calling on 21.335 with 400 watts. After less than 10 minutes, I could hear 'who is the Echo India three?' I thought maybe he was listening for me and I said 'Echo India Two Kilo Charlie' and he said 'Echo India Two only' and soon I was in the log for a brand new DXCC!!

That's nine new DXCC in less than three weeks, and all worked with the new hexbeam. The more I use it, the more I like it. Robert was not strong, and there was QSB on his signal, but he was strong enough to work and to be heard in EI. This is a brilliant hobby, with so many rewards.

Working ZD9 made up for the lack of time I had over the weekend for radio. The couple of times I sat down at the radio to try to work 3D2C on Conway Reef were brief, and sadly there was considerable QRM on both 20m SSB, where music was being played over them, and on 17m CW, where, at one stage, there were THREE CW signals QRMing them. Very sad. Let's hope they're back on those slots tomorrow and that all the lunatics are off at work or back at the asylum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated - so spam will not get through.