Wednesday, October 16, 2013

H7H Nicaragua worked on 80 metres SSB

With the inverted v up in the air for 80m, I have been getting up early this past few mornings to try to nab any DX that might be floating around. Imagine my surprise when I saw H7H spotted on 3.790, on the top end of 80m, on SSB! My "vee" will only tune on the CW end of the band, so I was unable to use it. However, thanks to the large coil at the bottom of my Butternut vertical, I am able to tune that antenna to any part of the 80m band. I went out, spanner in hand, and opened the nut that keeps the clasp closed and stretched the coil downwards to get resonance on the top end of the band.

Soon enough, I was calling H7H with the linear on, giving it 400 watts. He was about a 5 and 5, and was obviously struggling with high noise because it was taking him ages to hear anyone. My friend Seamus EI3KE was calling him and when H7H said "EI3 again" it took ages for Seamus to make the QSO. But he made it. My immediate thought was: "I have some hope!" H7H then worked a couple of G stations. Again, it took him quite a while to copy each call correctly.

I began calling again 5 Khz down, and within a short time I heard the magic words: "Who is the Echo India Two?" Again, it took a bit of perseverance to get through. There were several overs before the call was copied correctly. But I made it! A rare contact on 80m SSB. Most of my DX contacts on that band are on CW. To make the QSO on the Butternut was a nice treat.

It was a bit ironic that, only three days after putting up the inverted v, here I was working DX on the Butternut! Ah well, it's nice to have the option. And it's good to be working DX from this small garden!

4 comments:

  1. Just a question Anthony. What time was this QSO. Since I'm able to do some radio early in the morning now till 5:20 UTC. 73, Bas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bas, the QSO was at 08:04 local time, 07:04 UTC. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anthony, at that time I'm already working. I helps so far that this kind of DX isn't possible for me :-( Anyway, you did a fine job...73, Bas

      Delete
    2. Bas, I believe if you are on 80 metres around 4am or 5am you will be rewarded with DX . . . I don't usually get out of bed before 7am at the earliest ;)

      Delete

All comments are moderated - so spam will not get through.