Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Yaesu FT-1000MP repaired thanks to EI7BA & EI4DIB



My heartiest thanks are due to John EI7BA for his help in talking me through disassembling my Yaesu FT-1000MP and doing a repair job to VCO 1 which had led me to being inoperable on 160m, 80m and 40m. John talked me through opening the radio and getting deep inside it over Skype - and all from memory!! Apparently this is a common problem with the FT-1000MP, and is usually to do with a dry or faulty solder on one of the VCO coils. Tony EI4DIB arrived just as I had removed the VCO board and was able to help with a wee bit of soldering. We put it all back together in jig time and - hey presto - it was working!! I'm thrilled.

Without their help, I would have had to pack the rig up carefully and post it off at great expense to the UK for a repair job which would no doubt have cost a couple of hundred quid. And I would have been without a main HF rig in the shack. So thanks again lads, and especially to John EI7BA whose expert guidance got us to the crux of the problem. I'm very grateful.

The video above is very brief (I had to concentrate on the job in hand!). You can hear John talking me through it and you'll also see Tony with the VCO board in his hand before we repaired it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated - so spam will not get through.